File Complaints

There are two types of complaints that can be filed with the PUC, an informal complaint and a formal complaint. We recommend that you use the informal complaint process first, since many issues are resolved sooner through this simpler process. Before filing any complaint, please review our Complaint Filing Process Fact Sheet (Spanish Version) and the Complaint Checklist to see if all steps have been followed. For information on the Pennsylvania Code or Public Utility Code, see our Regulatory Information page.


Informal Transportation Complaints

Informal complaints regarding taxicabs or motor carriers (such as household moving companies or trucking companies) should be filed with the PUC Bureau of Transportation and Safety at P.O. Box 3265, Harrisburg, PA 17105-3265.

Consumers can submit informal complaints about taxi service here.


Filing Formal Complaints

The formal complaint process is different from the informal because it involves a legal proceeding before a Commission administrative law judge. This means that you and the utility must present facts on issues raised in your complaint to a PUC administrative law judge. However, this should not discourage you from filing a complaint.

Individuals or companies may file formal complaints. Individuals do not need a lawyer to file a formal complaint. However, companies must be represented by an attorney. Complaints are assigned to PUC administrative law judges, who hold hearings to gather evidence and then render decisions. The five PUC commissioners may then rule on the decisions at a public meeting.

You can download and save the formal complaint form on your computer by selecting Online Forms from the main menu. The form is set up in Word or , so you can type on the screen to fill out the form and then print it out.

Register Objection or Comment to Proposed Rate Increase - If you wish to register your objection or comment to a proposed rate increase by your utility company, you may fill out an “Objection or Comment to Proposed Rate Increase Form.”   Your objections and comments to a proposed rate increase will be placed in the official document folder of the case for review by the presiding officer, the parties to the case and the Commission staff.Objection or Comment to Proposed Rate Increase Form. In addition, a public input hearing may be scheduled in your area to give consumers an opportunity to tell the Commission in person what you think of the proposed rate increase.  


Mediation and Formal Complaints

If you do file a formal complaint, we encourage you to consider mediation as a way to resolve your problem. Mediation is a voluntary, confidential and non-binding process through which a neutral third party, the mediator, assists the parties in reaching a mutually acceptable settlement of their disputes.

For more information, review the Mediation section that explains the goals and guidelines of mediation through the Office of Administrative Law Judge.