Limousines, Taxis & Movers


Limousines operating within Pennsylvania must be licensed by the Public Utility Commission, maintain adequate insurance coverage and adhere to the Commissions vehicle safety regulations. Unlike taxicabs, limousines provide transportation by advance reservation within points in Pennsylvania .

By definition, limousines are luxury type vehicles seating 10 passengers or less, excluding the driver. Limousines shall have at a minimum: air conditioning, AM/FM stereo radio, deluxe leather or fabric upholstery, deluxe wheels or wheel covers, four doors and a wheelbase of at least 109 inches.

Pursuant to commission order entered October 16, 1997 , limousine companies may establish or change rates with one days notice to the Commission. Rates may be based on mileage or time, or both. Gratuities may be included in ratesif included in the company's filed tariff; however, customers should be informed of any and all charges, including gratuities when quoted rates for service.

Before contracting with a limousine company, consumers should:

  • Ensure the limousine company is licensed by the PUC. Ask the company to provide their PUC number (if not listed in the phone book or advertisement). To verify the validity of their license, call one of the PUC District Offices listed in the Staff Telephone Directory.
  • Obtain more than one price quote, since charges vary among companies.
  • Retain all paperwork received from the company, such as service agreements and receipts for any fees paid.

Complaints regarding rates, service and/or safety may be directed to the District Office closest to the companys office location. (See Motor Carrier Complaints for more information.)

Limousine Service in Philadelphia

Effective April 10, 2005, Act 94 of 2004 transfers oversight of limousines providing service between points within Philadelphia, and service from an airport, railroad station or hotel located in Philadelphia, from the Public Utility Commission to the Philadelphia Parking Authority. Limousine carriers that hold operating authority from both the Public Utility Commission and the Philadelphia Parking Authority will be regulated by the PPA for transportation to and from Philadelphia. All other limousine transportation within Pennsylvania will be regulated by the Public Utility Commission.

The Philadelphia Parking Authority’s scope of limousine service also includes carriers providing limousine service, airport transfer service and group and party service as defined by the Public Utility Commission.

Questions and/or complaints about limousine service as regulated by the Philadelphia Parking Authority should be forwarded to 1-888-591-3636 or


Taxicabs operating within Pennsylvania are required to be licensed by the Public Utility Commission, maintain adequate insurance coverage, charge fees approved by the PUC and adhere to the commissions driver and vehicle safety regulations. Taxi companies must also comply with certain standards regarding service set by the commission such as:

  • Providing service upon demand, regardless of the distance of the trip;
  • Taking the shortest route to the requested destination;
  • Charging a fare based on an approved flat rate, odometer mileage, a meter reading or in accordance with zones;
  • Posting rates inside vehicle;
  • Providing a receipt upon request;
  • Ensuring passenger area and trunk are clean and sanitary;
  • Ensuring vehicle meets all Pa. equipment and inspection standards; and
  • Marking vehicle with the name of the company, the PUC number (PUC A-#), and a vehicle number.
  • Ensuring meter is sealed.

Public Utility Commission Enforcement Officers conduct taxicab inspections throughout the year to ensure taxicabs are safe and clean, drivers are properly licensed, and companies are providing reasonable service. Insurance coverage is also monitored to ensure it remains in effect. A taxicab company failing to meet the commissions driver, vehicle and service standards may be subject to fines and/or loss of its operating license. 

To file a complaint, complete the online Taxi Complaint Form.

Household Goods Movers

Household goods movers operating within Pennsylvania are required to be licensed by the Public Utility Commission and must maintain adequate levels of insurance coverage and charge fees approved by the PUC.

Household Goods Operators (Excel) - This is a list of active Household Goods Carriers certificated by the Public Utility Commission to perform household goods moves in specific areas between points in Pennsylvania. Please contact the carrier for specific rates and approved territories. List updated October 8, 2019.

Moving Company Brochure - Guidelines for consumers to follow when hiring a moving company.

Before hiring a moving company, consumers should:

  • Mover must provide a written estimate.
  • Estimate is based on applicable tariff charges (hourly rate if distance is 40 miles or less) or on a weight and mileage basis (if distance is over 40 miles).
  • If the actual bill exceeds the estimate by more than 10% you must pay the estimated charges plus 10% of the estimate or $25 (whichever is greater). You have up to 15 days after delivery to pay the balance).
  • Loss or damages automatic protection is insured up to 60 per pound per article. (If additional protection is desired, consumer must purchase it through the moving company or private insurer.)
  • Ensure the company is licensed by the PUC. All movers operating within Pennsylvania must display their PUC number in advertisements (such as phone books).
  • Ensure you receive an Information for Shippers form prior to signing any agreements.
  • Obtain more than one estimate since tariff charges do vary among companies.

At conclusion of move, check delivered items for missing or damaged goods prior to signing the delivery receipt. Note any problems (service or damages) on the delivery sheet and do not sign until all items have been moved. Keep all paperwork given to you by the moving company.

If you wish to file a complaint, please contact the District Office nearest you, in writing, with the following information:

  • Name of company and anyone you dealt with.
  • Date(s) of move.
  • Amount of estimate and actual amount charged.
  • Nature of complaint.*

*Please note: The commission cannot order reimbursement for damaged household goods or investigate a complaint involving goods moved out of Pennsylvania or placed in storage for more than 90 days. However, during an investigation, violations of PUC regulations may be discovered.